Siemens Edge DCU

I worked full-time as a Siemens ELDP intern in Atlanta during the Summer of 2019 and part-time as an intern in the Fall of 2019. While I was there I worked on the codebase of an unreleased device known as Edge DCU, primarily developing tests, fixing bugs, and formalizing the software installation process. The device connected offline Siemens meters to Siemens' IoT platform. 

I also worked on the early stages of another metering product at Siemens. I primarily worked on wireframing based on a set of design requirements and calls with its creators about the userbase. 



Matthew Lim, Weston Sheldon (manager), Matthew Gillespie (full-stack dev), Timothy Williams (front-end dev)

Tools Used

Nodejs, React, Typescript, Adobe XD


Software Engineering, UX Engineering

Monitoring - Live Data - Groups.png

IoT App Design Cycle

Unfortunately, I am not able to display many designs as the product is still in the very early stages of development and is unreleased.


Creating Product Requirements

I worked with Timothy Williams on developing the product requirements. Siemens used a design process based on certain engineering specifications, rather than user research. Some of the requirements included the ability to group certain meters, a "heat map" view, create measurement trends, the ability to see live data, support for two data formats, cumulative report creation, a help center, and the ability to set alarms.

Creating Wireframes

Based on the requirements, I created wireframes on Adobe XD. These were low fidelity in look and feel like the image above. From these wireframes, engineers could evaluate the information and navigation of the proposed application. I created screens for live data, grouping, report creation, heatmaps, and trends. I also showed how certain alarms would displayed.

Evaluating Wireframes

I received iterative feedback on the wireframes from several engineers at Siemens over video calls. Their backgrounds included those who serviced engineers who would use these platforms and the creators of the original product proposal. I used these evaluations to update the wireframes.


At this point, I took into consideration the branding guidelines that Siemens had established. As Siemens doesn't have set design patterns (or much to inform a UI design), I consulted fellow engineers and even someone at Siemens HQ in Germany. We settled on using material UI elements as they were easily accessible through React and were well established. I created a higher fidelity prototype in look, but not feel.